Wednesday, May 22, 2013

God Bless the Broken Road

I have not been blogging as often as I would love to, but I am happy to say that the reason why I've been M.I.A was to focus on school and on May 18, 2013 I GRADUATED from The University of Texas-Austin! I am now officially a college graduate and I give all glory to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for seeing me through.Father in Heaven knows it was not an easy 4 years. I struggled through some semesters, cried through others, but in all the struggles, God was faithful! As I write this, the song that has been playing on my heart is "God Bless the Broken Roads" by Rascal Flatts. Though it can be seen as a romantic song, I sincerely want to thank God for all the broken roads in college that led me to where I am today. If college was a smooth journey, I would probably never have discovered God's purpose for my life because I would have stuck with engineering, which was MY plans.

Most people know that I started college as a chemical engineering major but I graduated as a chemistry major! This change was the biggest and hardest thing for me to do and it required my 100% dependence on God's plans for my life because God was pulling me towards pharmacy, but I was determined to stay with engineering, not because I didn't love pharmacy, but because I was scared of the stigma that was associated with switching out of engineering! I remember crying to God and begging Him to make engineering His Will for me because engineering was all I knew. I went to an engineering high school, got to college and was heavily involved in engineering organizations and conferences, and all my friends were engineering majors BUT here God was pulling me away from my comfort zone! How was God pulling me away? I felt miserable in engineering, like a shadow of myself,  I put on weight, grades were suffering, basically my world was crumbling down on me, but I was willing to struggle through it convinced that I could do it but God was pounding hard at the door of my heart. In the midst of this battle with God, I got offered an internship with LyondellBassell and I remember screaming at God "SEE! I can do this! Let me do it!" and yet God said NO! I cried, I begged, I pleaded with God in tears, but despite the tears and all my hurt, the Lord pulled me farther away from that field and closer to pharmacy. He asked me why I was scared and I told Him I didn't want people to think that I couldn't do it and He said to me " Since when did you start caring about what people think? We've already been through this struggle and have already conquered it." I reminded Him of the internship offer and God just made it clear that I had to decline and reminded me of His Word in the book of Isaiah which  says

" Your thoughts are not My thoughts, neither are your ways, My way," declares the LORD, "As the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts"- Isaiah 55:8-9  

After a night of battling with God through tears, I gave up my will for His Will, declined the internship offer, and fell asleep crying. I remember waking up the next morning with the greatest peace I've ever felt in college. I knew exactly what God wanted me to do so that very day, I changed my major to Chemistry, pre-pharmacy and put all my confidence in Christ that His plans for me where good plans (Jeremiah 29:11). No longer was I scared of what people were going to say when they found out i switched out of engineering and in addition, I was just so much happier! I am sharing this today to encourage and let everyone know that we should pray that God reveals the blessing in each one of our hardships. When things don't work out the way we plan, we should rejoice because if what is happening is not our plans, then it must be God's plan. The Word of God says that God will not withhold ANY GOOD THING from His children.

"For the Lord is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; No good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless" -Psalm 84:11

There are a lot of things/struggles I faced in college that I left out of this blog but the main point remains that God knows what is best for you and He DESIRES to give them all to you but this might require Him to allow you to cry a little in order to get you to come to Him and ask Him what HIS WILL for your life is.  Today as I sit to write this, I am just in awe of God's faithfulness to know that He is indeed a loving Father so thank Him for all the broken roads in your life whether its a change in major like my own, a failed relationship, a lost job, a broken down car, etc etc. My 4 years of college had many broken roads, but long story short, here I am today with a B.S in Chemistry and admission into the #4 pharmacy school in the nation, something I NEVER dreamt could happen because my GPA was not the best and I was not the smartest. God is simply a faithful God. Roads broken by God will take you places you've never imagined! I bless God for all the broken roads that led me here.



Yorkamazing <3
T.M.V- Jeremiah 29:11 
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing and being so transparent with your life! I love Jeremiah 29:1! No matter what our own plans are, God's plans are leaps and bounds better than anything our minds could ever conjure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, ABOVE all we can ask or imagine. He's that type of God! and I'm a big believer in sharing what God does for you because we overcome by the word of our testimony (Rev.12:11) You never know who needs to hear it! Thank you for reading, and especially for your comment! God bless you sis! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. My pleasure. Thank you for taking the time to read. I woke up to see your comments on a few blog posts and I just want to personally thank you for the encouragement. You are a blessing! <3

      Delete