Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Grace to Love

Tonight I read 1 Corinthians 13. It's one of my all time favorite chapters in the Bible because it speaks on the real definition of LOVE which is Christ-Like sacrificial love, the type that hurts you when you CHOOSE to act it out. Today at work I witness a particular event occur that involved two pharmacist working at different stores, and an elderly man that needed approximately 12 prescriptions filled. The man seemed to be having a hard time with his primary pharmacist who didn't appear concerned with whether or not the elderly man got his medications. After many unsuccessful tries to which the pharmacist told the man " if you don't like it, switch pharmacies!" this man called our pharmacy to transfer his prescriptions over. My pharmacist was able to transfer the prescriptions and I filled it all for the man. Upon arriving to pick up his medication, the man expressed his gratitude and vowed to permanently remain with our store because of his pleasant experience. While at work something about this experience dawned on me. Both pharmacist were highly qualified and capable of helping this man so I began to ask myself, what was the difference between these pharmacist that made the man prefer our location over the competitor? It was LOVE. I often time hear that no one cares what you know until they know how much you care. This was the case. Both pharmacist are pharmaceutical doctors and masters of their field yet one spoke in hostility and the other in love, and love made the difference. This is what the 1 Corinthian 13 meant.
       " If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 
  
No matter how educated we are, if we walk without love, we will have ZERO influence on the world. I cannot talk about love without mentioning that Love is not a feeling, it is a deliberate choice to reflect Christ in our relationships with others. 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

More times then not, loving people will involve being able to forgive them. I find it interesting that 1 Corinthians 13 says that "Love keeps no record of wrongs" which means Love turns the other cheek over and over again just like Christ did. In the Scripture they ask Jesus, Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" -Matthew 18:21 "If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."- Luke 17:4 With dealing with love we have to remember the Lord's prayer that said " Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us". We will never know love, until we learn to forgive for it was in forgiving us of our sins, that Christ showed His Love for us. In a world that doesn't recognize Christ, we must choose to be the walking reflection of Him. Our speech should encourage like His, our hands should hug like His, our feet should tread the path of peace, and our hearts should show forth His compassion to the very least among us. Love is a hard choice when we try to do it own our own because we are imperfect, but the grace of God can help us. It makes a difference in how others see us, and will even make people that do not know God, at the very least, inquire about the God that we serve that makes us so different. I pray to God that He helps us to be like Him everyday. The song "Jesus Friend of Sinners" by Casting Crowns have been on my heart all week and the line that resonates with me is "♫ Let our hearts be led by mercy, Help us reach with open hearts and open doors. Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours ♫- ♥ I pray that the things that break God's heart will break our hearts too. I pray that we all become agents of love and forgiveness and may we learn each day to put aside our hurt and pride, and reach out with love not for us, but for the Glory of God. Amen.


Yorkamazing <3
T.M.V- Matthew 18:21
                        "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."





2 comments:

  1. This totally blessed and encouraged me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! To God be the glory! Thank you for reading! <3

    ReplyDelete