Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Me and the Homeless Man

During the summer, I went to go throw away my trash. Without thinking about it, I reached the trashcan and just threw my trash in like I've done many times before, but this time, something was different. As my trash enter the bin, it landed upon the back of a Caucasian middle-aged man that was inside digging through the trash to find anything he can scrap up. My heart was immediately broken! At that very instant I felt so low that I cannot possibly express in words. I immediately began to beg the man and apologize because my act was not intentional at all, but the man in return kept telling me that it was okay and that it has happened before.i felt like crying. How can there be people in this world who are used to having trash dumped on them? I rushed into my apartment to find food and money for the man, but upon returning, he was gone. I drove around searching for him to really express my sincere apologies and to hand him the little I had but I couldn't find him anymore. I never forgot him and my mind would race back to him every time I saw a homeless person.

Well today, I was in bed attempting to take a nap before studying but for some reason, I just couldn't sleep. As a result I woke up and decided to go take out the trash. At the trash location, I noticed this same man from my summer incident and immediately approached him to apologize once more and then I asked him to wait for me. He assured me that he would so I went in to my place and got money and handed it to him expressing my sorrow and asking him to take care of himself. When he realized the amount, he couldn't believe it and just kept saying "thank you sis!". He then proceeded to give me a hug but first asked my permission and stating the fact that he has taken a shower today so we hugged and he went on his way still turning back every few seconds to say "thank you sister!" and smiling!

When I walked back to my place, the song that came to my head was "If We are the Body" by Casting Crowns. I believe that my steps are ordered by God. There are specific places He directs me to be at a specific time for a particular miracle/blessing/revelation. This was one of those ordering of steps. I do not share this story to brag and have people think that I am some angel. I share it because it's been placed on my heart to do so. We are the hands and feet of Christ. The world sees and feels the Love of Christ through us. The experiences people have with those that don't know Christ should be different when they encounter us followers of Jesus. The man told me during the summer that he experiences trash being dumped on him all the time and my heart was determined to make sure that this time, he will know that there's a difference between me and those other experiences, and that difference is Christ. The word of God says

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."- Matthew 5:16 

Let God be glorified through the works of our hands. As our light shines, people should be quick to realize that we are indeed children of God. I do not know the future of that man, but I do know that as he has said " I will never forget you", a seed has been planted in his life, however small and God will water that seed to grow in him. We may say we love, but we should be prepare to demonstrate the Love of God through action.

Casting Crowns- If We are the Body

Yorkamazing <3
(T.M.V)- 1 John 4:7

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God "

No comments:

Post a Comment